On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 9:53 AM, Roy Wallace <waldo000...@gmail.com> wrote:

> There's a difference between establishing that a tag is 1) a useful
> way to model some aspect of physical reality, and 2) that it should
> show up in a particular renderer.
>
> Use a tag if it is 1). If you want 2), that's a separate issue.
>
>>As you can see the wiki doesn't play a role in this decision.

> > And if *that* is the case, that should definitely be documented, and the
> > whole voting process abandoned as a distracting waste of time.
>
> The wiki/voting process is to establish whether or not the tag is 1).

To establish whether it's "a useful way"? Nah, the process must have a
stronger outcome or it's pointless. I would have said it's something like
"to establish that the tag is part of the official OSM tag set" or
something.  And once established, it should be rendered (or explicitly not
rendered, if inappropriate) by the official OSM renderers/stylesheets...

Steve