I had digitized some of those roads and features around Jacmel late last week
from the DMA mapping, before the DigitalGlobe imagery or other good sources
were available, with the full anticipation that they would eventually be
updated via imagery.  The bigger value to the DMA maps as I saw it is that they
had some local cultural information such as POIs and place names, as well as
basic road network.

The DMA maps were scanned paper maps, rectified via NYPL MapWarper, no surprise
that they might be off a tad here and there.

I have since then been updating via DigitalGlobe, tho there are still some
areas that need updating.

So as far as “concern”, there shouldn’t be much, just stick with the more
current and update the older stuff – though be thoughtful when deleting things
outright.  I think there is still some value to knowing what potential road
network there may be (even if it’s tracks not well visible from the air- I’ve
found some that are shown on the DMA maps but which are only barely discernible
via tree crowns vaguely outlining the road underneath) and where there may be
potential dwellings, et cetera (potentially obscured by tree cover) - I have
been designating some of those more ambiguous ones (e.g. road network visible
in DG imagery, but buildings not obvious) as “residential area” as there is
probably a reason the roads are there.  Obviously, if there is no tree cover,
there is less ambiguity, the road may just be off in another direction,
inaccurately placed on the DMA maps – worth looking around for it before
deleting it outright – I’ve found that to be the case in a few instances as
well.

David G. Smith PE PLS

Synergist Technology Group, Inc.

570.280.6763