Hi Mark, thanks for the note.

Honestly, I truly believe that it's better to capture the "confidence"
or "quality code," whichever you want to call it, when the data is
captured. And having the legend left there (descriptions of 1-4) helps
people do to that.

You call it mission creep, but I think it's just an improved workflow;
It makes more sense then trying to determine the quality of the data
after-the-fact-of collection.

Anyhow, I have placed several town centroids in there, and I know
others have, and without a place to record that, it's just oy, really
irksome, to this longtime GIS-er. (I got my first copy of MapInfo 19
years ago!)

I can't in good conscience continue adding data without also signaling
that the point is not accurate. With the satellite photography, you
can tell if a town is small, or big,. And with a Google Maps ruler,
you can see if your point is likely to be within one km or 0.3 km.
Those confidence codes were designed to reflect that.

> We have to agree to common standards for the data
> schema and lock out changes - such as a new column.

What sort of protocol is in place (if any) for agreeing to modify the
common standards, to add a confidence code (or "quality code")? What
would it involve, technically (schema-wise), and socially?

(Is crisismappers the appropriate list for this conversation? If so,
happy to remove the talk from future distribution.)

Margie