According to the WIKI and some discussions back in April (
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-us/2009-April/000976.html) and
again in September (
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-us/2009-September/001597.html),
the US Interstate system was going to be moved into a new schema where each
direction of each interstate would be split at the state border to avoid
hitting API 0.6's 1000-member hard-cap on relationships.

Last night, user NE2 "cleaned up" the interstate system by merging all of
the states with 2 relations per interstate back into 1 relation with
direction-based roles.  I've already requested a roll-back on the area I was
working on, but I wanted to check if we still have a consensus on splitting
each interstate into separate directions at the state line.

Chris Hunter
DiverCTH