SteveC wrote:
> On Feb 21, 2010, at 8:03 AM, Dave F. wrote:
>
>> How is zooming all the way in & repeatedly panning around to centre up,
>> quicker than one click to _accurately_  locate the problem?
>>

> Hi, you've never done a UI review.
>
> http://usability.wikimedia.org/wiki/UX_and_Usability_Study
>
> Money quote:
>
> "Every user in this study struggled to get a basic grasp of the editing
> interface. Despite users’ overall excitement about Wikipedia, their
> willingness to spend up to an hour on the site, and varying levels of
> computer expertise, they largely failed to make edits correctly without
> repeated attempts and efforts."
>
> It would be worse for OSM. Ir shouldn't be.

What proof do you have for that?

You're comparing oranges with apples.
With OSM being vector graphics & icons, it's much easier to get to grips
with than a scripting language.
(As a side point, I think all references to XML format data should be
banned from the wiki. It's too confusing & not relevant for newbies.)

Initial points after skimming your link:

15 is not a big enough set for accurate conclusions. Even worse it was
vetted down, removing users who were willing editors. This gives a
distorted view on how user friendly it is. And they were just from SF.

Environment plays a big part in opinion surveys like this. Going on the
photo' for the remote sessions it's results are hardly surprising -
uncomfortable seats, broom cupboard room (I bet it got hot in there) &
poor posture positions.
Most OSM users will learn at their own pace in the comfort of their own
homes.

I got to grips with OSM fairly quickly, yet I've still not worked out
how to edit a wiki properly.

>> 2) We have to be very clear that the openstreetmap.org website is _awful_.
>> Horrendous. A total PITA. We're all here because we're persistent with it.
>> But the wonderful thing is - we don't have to make the tools and site easy
>> to use if we can expose a simple bug system. It's very clear that nobody can
>> convince Richard to actually write something any muggle would really want to
>> use, you can scream at him to finish the mythical Potlatch 2 all you want,
>> but he doesn't give a shit and lives on a boat in bliss. That's his choice,
>> and it's totally fine, but if we all feel that way then we have to deal with
>> the downside that every single day we lose tens of thousands of edits
>> because of that monopoly on bad UI. All I'm suggesting is we sidestep the
>> problem and connect people who can report a map bug but can't be bothered to
>> deal with pain and suffering of potlatch with the people who can deal with
>> it, at least until Richard gets his act together and stops fixing every
>> stupid thing in the old codebase. You have to take a step back here and
>> realise what we're missing out on.
>>
>> You really are a grade A tosser.
>> When most people here treat others with respect, why do you have to
>> degenerate it into a juvenile, Youtube style slanging match?
>> What do you think Granny's reaction will be when she reads this?
>>

> Sorry,
And so you should be.

> do you disagree with any specific point I made?

I disagree with you general attitude.

Regards
Dave F.