My understanding is that all Xml compliant* parsers will abort at the
file offsets that Frederik mentions.
My advice is to use the egrep filter when in doubt, because you will
loose no more than a dozen lines in a planet file of billions of
lines.

*: (My split program is not compliant and will happily ignore these errors:
http://trac.openstreetmap.org/browser/applications/rendering/gosmore/bboxSplit.cpp)