On 20 March 2010 22:52, Tirkon <tirko...@yahoo.de> wrote:
> The problem is, that - as far as I know - every person may offer an
> editor. If this is true, with more and more editors the problem will
> grow in future. Cause one popular editor, that is not aware and does
> not follow these roules, could be one editor too much, because it
> could damage OSM-database and in particular the laborious relations
> considerably.

While this is a problem, the issue is more prominent with popular
editors, currently based on the majority of usage there is only 2 main
editors, JOSM and Potlatch with Merkaartor a distant 3rd, get them
working properly and that will fix at least 90% of potential problems,
from there you have the long tail effect... Might be also worth noting
while potlatch has most users, JOSM has most edits...

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Editor_usage_stats

> And because of required special registration and possibly paying money
> for the editor-software, it will be more and more hard, to test and
> bugfix them. And what will be, if the coder is not willing or able to
> fix?

Buggy editors have been blocked in the past, the more harm software
does the more likely it will get blocked.