hi

On 25.03.2010, at 21:34, Jukka Rahkonen wrote:

> Claudius <claudius.h <at> gmx.de> writes:
>
>> I think WiFi are too temporary a feature to be added to the main OSM
>> database. Why not keep it in a seperate project database?
>>
>> Besides: Nice idea. But will it be needed in times of 3G access?
>
> Why not? It can be dirty expensive to use 3G when you are abroad.

i think it was less then 2 month ago (not sure about that) since someone had
the great idea to map the strange of some signals (don't know it it was DVB-T,
WLAN or even mobile networks). Anyway the discussion was nearly the same it
doesn't make a lot of sense because these information are to temporary.

let's see it from another point of view... a similar problem. If you add the
opening times of restaurants to the OSM database it would be nice for everyone,
not only for people who come from somewhere else and want to visit a good
restaurant. But who takes care of the entries? Who checks that these opening
times are still correct?
I have a bounce of shops and restaurants here within walking distance. But I'm
clearly not willing to do that in my area. It is hard enough to keep track of
the name and the type of restaurants and shops sometimes.

There are a lot of programs available managed by larger ISPs or hot spot
companies and even some third party products. and from what I can see there...
even companies who should know where they offer free WiFi (or the paid version)
are not able to keep track of them. hey they have a database with places where
they installed such equipment and they are not able to link it to there apps!

sorry as much as I can think of good reasons to add free WiFi to OSM, I clearly
wouldn't rely on such an entry. In my local Starbucks they offer WiFi. Served
by BT Openzone.... and T-Mobil is still listing this location for there
customers. But I haven't seen a function to login as T-Mobil user.

cu AssetBurned
ps. I never said that it isn't allowed to add this info to OSM, but if you do
so... pleas ensure that the data is always up to date!