On 26 March 2010 11:39, Gregory <nomoregra...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I think you would need a separate database for the collection.
> Then every week or so you have a rule that estimates the access point
> location and says where a few people have seen this network, and it has been
> seen recently, then add it to OSM and update your db with the OSM node id.

Yep, I was thinking of just using a flat file for the collection
(published to the world) then a database to keep track of the nodes
which have been imported (node IDs, last known positions etc)

> Some information might be best kept in your database, some might be good in
> OSM. It is helpful to be able to add the osm tags operator (e.g. T-Mobile,
> BT OpenWhatsit,  or LocalTon Free Wifi), url, and maybe something to say if
> it is free or not.

I was thinking I'd avoid the BT OpenZone and other non-free networks,
they personally irritate me and there are hundreds of thousands of
them (I think they piggyback other people's connections). If the tool
can log in via the wifi and make a connection to my server, then it's
a good one.

> How do you deal with nodes(tags and/or location) being changed in the OSM
> data not by your tool?

In this case I think we can assume that humans are always better at
setting locations, but software is better at SSIDs and other machiney
things. I guess just don't update the location in future once a user
has moved it (maybe

> What if your tool adds a node which is already there?

That's a bit harder. I guess it would need to search for both the
ESSID and the SSID before adding a node, and be aware that the node ID
might change (ie be deleted by a user)

> I know of a village that has a free wifi setup (by residents) that I would
> like to know the points of but you have to give an e-mail address to 'log
> in'. I suppose I would have to login and then use your tool if I wanted it
> recorded.

I suppose you'd have to add this one manually, the tool would see the
open network, connect try to post data to my collection page but be
redirected to the login page. It would then assume that this network
is a private/pay one and locally blacklist the ESSID so it doesn't
connect multiple times to pinpoint the location.

> I think a possible objection is like the legally-grey use of open networks.
> Home routers usually come open as default(it aids installation), you have
> not been authorised to use them but maybe the settings being left open is
> authorisation(so you tell yourself). Well more worse that you taking their
> bandwidth, is you plotting a  big X on their house (yeah, I know their fault
> for not closing the network).

I can only speak for the UK, but all the ISP provided routers I've
seen in the past few years come with a key printed on the bottom of
them, plus you have to actually press a button on the device to
authorize it. The open wifi anarchy of the recent past doesn't seem to
apply to home users anymore.

I guess it could just stop updating the node once a user has deleted
it from OSM's database, but I wouldn't remove it from my source list.

Gaz