Hello Graham,

Be aware that the GTK code that draws rotated text (Pango) is quite
slow. You can ask Willem-Jan De Hoog who ported gosmore to the maemo.

Richard, are you aware that most "oddball GPSs" are WinCE powered and
that OSM has several apps for them. Sometimes you need to browse the
HPC-factor forums or the gpspassions forums to see how it can be
unlocked (MioPocket is a very nice replacement shell). I recently
bought a new Mio. The builtin app is good, but the maps are a bit out
dated. So if I compare it to Gosmore + OSM it is actually quite good:
Very up-to-date map with cycling features and PoIs, but without house
numbers, pretty rendering and a few other features. Give it a year or
two and some people will actually consider it to be an upgrade.

Regards,
Nic