On a mapping party wiki page(or anywhere else), it's good to mention that
sign up isn't required, but it's good to know so the organisers expect
people and can make sure to get some GPSes if needed.

London and UK events often also create the event on Yahoo's Upcoming website
as it is used by gadget and technology geeks. I've seen wiki pages that
encourage me to sign up there too so it doesn't look like an empty event,
and as I have an account I usually do.
It's always good to be knowing what publicity tools are around and be making
use of them. Well done Valent.

P.S. personally I have a google account but don't want to use Google Wave,
it seemed a waste of my time when I initially looked (and I think it was too
hard to use on a netbook).

On 5 April 2010 16:25, Anthony <o...@inbox.org> wrote:

> Maybe some people will be more interested in creating an account *after* or
> *during* the meetup.  I like the entusiasm, Valent.  If you can manage to
> introduce people to OSM who otherwise wouldn't be interested, this is
> great.  Maybe you can act as a liason between the interested parties on Wave
> and those on the wiki.  This way the many individuals who wish to avoid
> Google can participate too.
>
> Anthony
>
> On Apr 5, 2010 6:22 PM, "John Smith" <deltafoxtrot...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 6 April 2010 05:37, Frederik Ramm <frede...@remote.org> wrote:
> > which they don't fully realise. ...
>
> I found it weird that someone was suggesting people that wanted to be
> involved with a mapping party don't want to get an OSM account...

Gregory
o...@livingwithdragons.com
http://www.livingwithdragons.com