Hi,

As was mentioned above, I'm not Russian citizen, I'm from Belarus,
which has a lot stricter laws sometimes.

This message represents my point of view, that may or may not be
supported by other members. Most of the quotes are approximate, since
initially they were badly grammatically constructed and can't be
directly translated to English. If I had totally misunderstod
something, feel free to correct me in this thread.

(I had to write this passage after reading some PocketGIS team
members' comments on forum like "shame to do like this" and
calling that initial letter a coward act and "calling a third force to
the discussion". PocketGIS wasn't called a third force, talk@ was.)

About legality. There are readings of laws in forum thread that state
"you can't give out a secret that you weren't told", and that a person
needs to sign a paper when they gain access to military secret data. I
think they won't publish it in OSM anyway.
Reference numbers of military areas are usually printed on enterance
gates, and usually can even be photographed.

Second, a bit about Wikimapia. Wikimapia: 1) is a project that is
hosted in Russia and by russian citizens 2) has a lot more military
features mapped, up to types of missles 3) there are no attempts to
prevent Wikimapia from doing that, neither legally nor by brute force.

A bit of background about PocketGIS. Right after Zkir published his
translarion of first Frederik's e-mail in a forum thread that was
calling everyone to vote "delete all military features and do
everything allowed by law against people who add them", he was told
that his post will be deleted in case he doesn't provide the
translation for the whole thread in 24hrs, and that it shouldn't be
discussed in that pinned topic. (http://tinyurl.com/y6v8otc)

Forum thread on OSM froum also contains some interesting answers to
this maillist thread. If their respective authors won't post
themselves, I will translate and post those here.

--
Komяpa aka Darafei Praliaskouski
http://osm.komzpa.net xmpp:m...@komzpa.net mailto:m...@komzpa.net