Try

> http://osmxapi.hypercube.telascience.org/api/0.6/node[addr:postcode][bbox=-85,40,-72,47]
>
> Works like a champ.  zip codes got added to the Karlsruhe Schema for
> addressing data.
>  <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Karlsruhe_schema>

I see -- that makes -- thank you!

>From looking at the results of those calls it seems like perhaps OSM is
doing something quite different from what I'm looking for.  I was hoping
that, independently of the particular individual locations that people have
posted to the system, the basic administrative units that apply to these
regions would all already have been added.   E.g. that in the US, all
states, counties, and postal code boundary regions would have been
integrated, and then available for bounding-box search.

So for instance, let's say I wanted to have a list of all zip codes in a
given bounding box, is there a way to achieve that?   The call

http://osmxapi.hypercube.telascience.org/api/0.6/node[addr:postcode][bbox=-74,40,-72,42]

clearly does NOT produce the list of all zipcodes in new york city.

Is it accurate to say that OSM does not provide an API call that is even
intended to do this, and that OSM may not even have th relevant underlying
data (e.g. the boundary files for all the basic adminstrative units in the
US)?      If os,  does anyone know of an open source service that _does_ do
this?  Or even an entry-level commerical API service?

Thanks,
Dan