On Thu, 29 Apr 2010, Robin Paulson wrote:
> can this be made to run in a bulk fashion? i was under the impression
> after running the check, it required each set of duplicate nodes to be
> accepted for merging. we will potentially have tens of thousands of
> duplicates, so this isn't really on

It would help if you thought a little more about duplicate things on the one
position.
E.g. Service Station
could have 5 or 6 types of fuel, an address, a phone number, notes about
ancillary services - car wash, groceries, telephone, atm machine,
A number of these are "amenity=xxx" and if you merge the nodes you will have
data loss, or difficulty in post-processing data if you string it all
together.
The next category are things that are at different heights in the same
location - a multistorey building with basement parking, ground level shops,
upper levels offices and on the roof various aerials.
How will you merge all of those and not lose information?