On 29 April 2010 21:29, Liz <ed...@billiau.net> wrote:
> It would help if you thought a little more about duplicate things on the one
> position.
> E.g. Service Station
> could have 5 or 6 types of fuel, an address, a phone number, notes about
> ancillary services - car wash, groceries, telephone, atm machine,
> A number of these are "amenity=xxx" and if you merge the nodes you will have
> data loss, or difficulty in post-processing data if you string it all
> together.
> The next category are things that are at different heights in the same
> location - a multistorey building with basement parking, ground level shops,
> upper levels offices and on the roof various aerials.
> How will you merge all of those and not lose information?

yes, we've thought about that, and realise that some of them should
stay unmerged. the specific example we have from the import so far
(there will be more) are fences round the edge of golf courses. the
fence and the golf course edge do coincide, but the import scripts
we're using have created duplicate nodes, as the two imports are from
two different shape files within the same data set