You did understand the text of the voting correctly. But once again:
this voting, as ANY OTHER VOTING on osm-wiki HAS NO POWER OF A RULE.
Anyone can map anything in any way he likes. No one in OSM can force
an osmer to stop mapping or to map in an other way.

So this particular voting can ONLY be treated as a discussion, nothing more.

K.