Hi,

Kai Krueger wrote:
> There, we really could use some great designers, marketing and PR folk,
> journalists or who ever else feels up to the task of presenting OSM to the
> newbie in an appealing and accurate way to make sure they understand how the
> project works and how they can contribute.
>
> And the best thing is, it is a wiki! So you don't need to be friends with
> TomH to get it deployed, or argue with Matt about the logo, or RichardF
> about what the best language is to write Potlatch in or... You can just do
> it and you are much more likely to get the gratitude of all if you do.

I think there's a problem - the gratitude. I think that people, at least
if they have a reasonably sized ego, are more likely to embark on
something like "complete front page re-design" (let's make it a project,
let's have a project manager, let's do it big, let's give it a name, and
later everone says that YOU were the visionary who pulled it off) than a
meagre editing of Wiki pages.

Not only are you not placed on a pedestal when you do lots of work on
the Wiki; there may even be others who ruin all your good work by adding
their own ;-)

Maybe we could find a way to make contributing to the Wiki a bit more
interesting to people with ego. Have lists of top contributors (perhaps
per language) and number of edits in a given timeframe, just as we have
for API changes. Give them stars and badges and stuff. I'm sure
Wikipedia has something we can learn from in this respect?

Bye
Frederik