On 1 June 2010 23:30, Andy Allan <gravityst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The "on the ground rule" is only appropriate for disputes, and
> shouldn't be used as an instruction of what should or should not be
> mapped (for that, see the guidelines on "verifiability").
>
> The "on the ground rule" is that when two sources (or mappers)
> disagree, then priority should be given to what actually goes on in
> real life. As Mikel has said, this was originally created to resolve a
> dispute in an occupied territory, but can be applied more widely. So
> if we have a mapper who is adamant a street has been called foo
> street, and another who says it is now bar street, then priority would
> be given to whichever name is used by the people who live there / run
> the local council / etc. Obviously this still needs common sense,
> since a mis-spelled street-sign is still mis-spelled and shouldn't be
> entered incorrectly into OSM.
>
> The "on the ground rule" can be thought of as resolving de jure vs de
> facto disputes. If you are discussing whether or not something exists,
> then you are wanting to discuss verifiability.

this reminds me of a situation i've come across in auckland, which i
don't know the solution to. there's a major road, which apparently has
three names:
The Strand (on signposts)
Shipwright Lane (on different signposts)
another name which I can't remember off the top of my head, not on any
signs or maps i can find, but which some (older) locals refer to it as

what to do?