On 2 June 2010 12:04, Anthony <o...@inbox.org> wrote:
> So, technically, here in Florida, walking on the roadway when there is a
> shoulder available (and practicable) would be illegal.  Interestingly,
> "shoulder" does not seem to be defined in the law, but I've always assumed
> it meant the part of the right of way (paved or unpaved) which was able to
> be walked upon and which was not part of the roadway.

The shoulder of the roadway is usually provided for a couple of
reasons, firstly it can help prevent the edge of the road way breaking
up when large or very large trucks need to pull over a bit to pass
oncoming traffic, it also allows a car to get off the road if they
break down, I don't think they were intended for pedestrians :)

> Best case scenario, if we really want to be able to produce adequate walking
> directions for people unfamiliar with the route, would be to map the entire
> right of way as one or more areas with surface=* designations.  Anything
> short of that is probably going to be insufficient, because there is so much
> variation as to what people would consider safe enough (between different
> people, and even between different times and scenarios - if I'm taking my
> kids with me I might want a 30 ft. wide shoulder but if I'm walking alone a
> much smaller one would be acceptable).

If you want 10m/30' wide shoulder some kind of width tag would be more
appropriate than indicating a dangerous path or not.

At the very basic level all we can assume is an older teenager or
adult is using the map data in some fashion, for other groups we would
need additional tags to indicate additional things, but if it isn't
safe for an average adult it won't be safe for any other groups
either.