On 2 Jul 2010, at 05:07, Robin Paulson wrote:

> there's a mapper near me, who's very active adding data.
>
> the problem is, he's making a lot of mistakes, such as roads not
> joining correctly at junctions, bridges drawn as a separate parallel
> line to the highway they should relate to, and other fairly
> unambiguous errors.
>
> up till now, i've corrected mistakes as i've seen them, but he does so
> much it's become a hell of a job, and feels like pointless duplication
> of effort
>
> i would like to point out what he's doing, but am concerned i'll piss
> him off and/or discourage him from mapping at all. the area we're in
> doesn't have a huge number of mappers, so osm really needs his
> enthusiasm and knowledge
>
> any suggestions on how to approach this?

Send a mail offering some help. Don't mention everything that they have been
doing in one go. Instead five them a couple of things to change at a time.
Offer to meetup and sit down with them to help them. One of the ways that has
worked well for me in the past is to point out some tools that show up errors
in the data such as a routing service using osm data. Most importantly thank
them for their enthusiasm and encourage them to continue contributing.

Shaun