2010/7/5 Pieren <pier...@gmail.com>:
> So you ask people to not join the nodes just because you make the assumption
> that this person is contributing in US and that a majority of US boundaries
> have errors...
> I could also say that if the boundary is really following the road, then
> there is no harm to join the nodes.

Actually I also came to the conclusion that is makes mapping much
easier if you don't connect roads to borders but keep them separate.

While it may be legally right in cases where the middle of the road is
also the border, there are also many cases where the road belongs to
one side of the border (and thus it would be wrong to join the nodes).

Usually you (maybe not you but the average mapper) don't know exactly
the position of the borders, that's why it makes editing roads
connected to borders a pain: in order to not change the border when
adjusting the road (or any other feature) you will have to unglue it.
Less experienced users might also change the border without even being
conscious about it, when they want to refine something.

Also it makes border far more complicated (and thus even false) when
glued to features: roads need to have more nodes than just for the
position (maxspeed, turnrestrictions, crossing streets, ...) while
borders are defined by a couple of border-points (usually less than
our roads have).

All these are IMHO good reasons not to glue them together. The only
situation where I believe attaching a border to another object is
sensefull is in the case of a river, that is defined as the border.

Cheers,
Martin