It really depends on how the boundaries are legally defined. In my country,
boundaries between barangays (the smallest political unit) in a city or
municipality often are defined in terms of roads especially in urban cities
and municipalities. The boundary is not even the centerline but the road
itself! In this case adjacent barangays share responsibility for the road in
cooperation with the city or municipality government. So here it makes sense
to use the road's OSM way as part of the boundary relation.

So I agree with Pieren. It's wrong to generalize that boundaries should
never share the same OSM way with roads.

http://vaes9.codedgraphic.com