I see a case for and against them. Since they're not routable, I don't
immediately see a problem. Nodes are simply points, and a point can be
shared between two objects, and so why use extra nodes if they're not
needed?

I don't have a problem with modeling objects like buildings or 2 boundaries this way. 2 Boundaries can share nodes because it models the real world. In the cases where I've gone back and updated for building demolition / reconstruction there was very little extra effort because of the shared nodes. Edits requiring object separation typically involve only a few nodes and is not a big problem.