David Earl wrote:

> Are you going to take the email address on trust? It is really very easy
> to set up an OpenID provider which supplies any old email address on
> request. (There are some I think you can trust in principle - we know
> for example that Google and Yahoo provide verified email addresses, but
> in general I think it needs the round trip with the verification link in
> the email to be trustworthy).

Yes, it does still require the round trip to verify the email address.
Technically, it would be no problem to remove the need for that step, even
to selectively "white list" a few openID providers if they were deemed
trustworthy, but both presumably would need a wider agreement and discussion
in the community about the social implications. Hence for the moment, the
implementation is only really a replacement for having to remember yet
another username and password combo.

Get the technical side and user interface right and deployed, and then one
can later still see if removing additional barrieres is a good next step. So
for the moment it is trying to solve a related, but not quite the same issue
as the NearMap, but perhaps it would help them too.

David Earl wrote:

> Also, are you able to link OpenID logins together and with existing OSM
> accounts (i.e. keeping login identity separate from OSM identity and
> allowing OSM identities to have multiple ways of logging in)?

You can associate an OpenID to an existing account. You can also switch your
associated OpenID at any time (provided you are logged in) just like you can
change your password. (The OpenID is never revealed to anyone other than the
account holder). But as Tom sais, for the moment you can only associate a
single OpenID with your account. If there is demand for linking multiple
OpenIDs to a single account, it should be reasonably easy to change that in
the future though too. Also, if you choose, you can always continue to use a
standard password instead or in addition to the OpenID.

Kai