John Smith schrieb:
For anyone still fence sitting over the new contributor terms and the
ODBL this is what you have to look forward to in the near future:

http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/legal-talk/2010-August/003908.html

Don't fight his conclusion, but his "if" in that sentence: |If imports now, in addition, start to become a corset that limits our choices with regards to where the project should be going, then it is *high time* to get rid of them completely.|

He has a point in that anything limiting our choice of where we are going is something we need to closely inspect. And if we want to change the direction os OSM, that surely has some cost, even to the point of excluding some data. That needs to be clear. We need to think about the "if"s and not the conclusions there. Let's go "what if" and weigh the grand outcomes logically, not not fight over some people pointing out some details of some possible outcome.

If these people were serious about making a PD set of map data they
would start their own project rather than foisting their morals and
agendas on the rest of us.

Offending them doesn't help either. We are still ONE community in ONE project, we should put all our heads together and find common ground instead of trying to fight against each other and dividing this great community. I have seen some dividing fights in other communities, but real progress only really came around when people finally worked together on common ground.

Robert Kaiser