On Aug 17, 2010, at 12:41 PM, Richard Weait wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 3:15 PM, Michal Migurski <m...@stamen.com> wrote:
>> That'd be awesome. One possibility is to flesh out the REST API provided by
>> Walking Papers, keeping it running on a separate host but making the
>> functionality available on various OSM.org servers.
>
> Dear Mike,
>
> I'm intrigued by the idea, though I'm also wary of the resistance to
> change the OSM.org front page.  You mentioned a REST API.  What sort
> of options are possible for integrating Walking Papers with OSM sites?
> For example, is Walking Papers licensed under GPL or another license
> that would be suitable for running on the OSM servers?  Are logins
> required?

Hi,

I'm super flexible. Walking Papers is currently licensed under the GPL, so you
won't have any license issues that I'm aware of. I used external libraries like
Smarty (http://www.smarty.net), PEAR (http://pear.php.net), NumPy
(http://numpy.scipy.org), PIL (http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil), and
VLFeat (http://www.vlfeat.org).

The REST API is currently read-only: you can get information about prints and
scans and so on for use in OSM editors, but I'm imagining adding ways of
writing data to the site as well. I'm basically completely happy to do whatever
work is necessary to make the project interoperable with other codebases.

Here's an example request:
        http://walking-papers.org/scan.php?id=3s7nsckg&type=xml

No logins are required on the site.

The service has two general halves: one is the PHP/MySQL based front end which
you see at http://walking-papers.org (and
http://github.com/migurski/paperwalking/tree/master/site/), the other is a
Python-based daemon that handles offline tasks to generate printed maps and
process scans (code at
http://github.com/migurski/paperwalking/tree/master/decoder/).

I use Amazon S3 for storage of scans and other large files, but a migration to
something hosted by OSMF-owned server would be fairly simple.

-mike.