On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 9:06 PM, Michal Migurski <m...@stamen.com> wrote:

> I'm super flexible. Walking Papers is currently licensed under the GPL, so
> you won't have any license issues that I'm aware of. I used external
> libraries like Smarty (http://www.smarty.net), PEAR (http://pear.php.net),
> NumPy (http://numpy.scipy.org), PIL (http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil),
> and VLFeat (http://www.vlfeat.org).
>
> The REST API is currently read-only: you can get information about prints and
> scans and so on for use in OSM editors, but I'm imagining adding ways of
> writing data to the site as well. I'm basically completely happy to do
> whatever work is necessary to make the project interoperable with other
> codebases.

>From my previous work with WP, I'd say the upload API is a weak point.
Being able to post directly to an endpoint, rather than being required
to pull a form in order to get the secret, would be an instant bonus.
Similar things would be of benefit to the decoder daemons too, which
also have to get html pages and then parse them for the required
tokens. When I wrote some invalid html in a footer it took me a long
time to realise that was what was causing poll.py to crash!

We've discussed briefly before, but I'd also like to see WP scan
endpoints not relying on the print endpoints being active (since they
make a call to the print ID url to find the scan locations). That
means that people would then be able to set up custom WP print
generators (say with their own data overlays, on an internal machine)
and the resulting printouts would work on any WP scanning endpoint.

Back to the OSM integration, the first step would be to integrate an
option to print a WP print. The joy of git branches being we can code
a button on the front page and leave the decision until later. From
the WP end, the print generation API is quite dependant on the aspect
ratio of the preview map. It would be great if WP could accept a
lat+lon+zoom+paper combo and figure out the corners for itself.

Finally, if there are unicorns on offer then mine would be in the
shape of a KML overlay on the prints!

Cheers,
Andy