2010/9/20 Steve Bennett <stevag...@gmail.com>:

> Personally, I think I prefer the default that access is open to anyone
> who could be on both sides. But anyway, could we try and reach
> consensus, and then document that?

beside simple access-restrictions there are also lots of cases where
the gates are open at some time and closed at other times. Generally a
gate is either open or closed, so that the mere presence of a gate
gives the reader of the map a hint, that passage might be obstructed.

I prefer asuming that a gate is closed (I tag them with access=private
in these cases anyway) or you have to indicate allowed traffic
(foot=yes, bicycle=yes, etc.)). Why do we have to have a default?
Defaults don't work because you can't differentiate between
information not present and access=default, and therefore I recommend
to tag explicitly in order to get unambiguous data.

cheers,
Martin

cheers,
Martin