Peter Wendorff wrote:
>> The first is "creation" and you see immediately the
>> effect on the rendered maps, the second is "maintenance" and is much
>> less funny. That's two different types of contributions and two
>> different public.
>>
> The problem exists - of course, and yet it is visible mainly at bit
> imports,
> but in future we will have changing mappers: People stop mapping, new
> generations of mappers start.
> For these people we need motivation strategies to check, update and
> optimize data already mapped.
> Same thing is with imports, but I think, that's only the first part of
> the problem obvious now.

If *all* experienced mappers in an area disappeared at once, that would
be comparable to an import. That's unlikely, though. With a healthy
community, *some* mappers might leave, but a new mapper will still find
others who are already familiar with the data in the area and who can
offer support. Maybe the mapper will even have been recruited through a
community event in the first place.

With an large-scale import, however, the amount and complexity of data
can easily be far ahead of what the local community is ready for. A new
mapper will face a large amount of data, with no experienced mappers
around who have worked with that data before.

To summarize this:
* empty area
  => no one to help you, but low complexity and no maintenance tasks
* community-mapped area
  => high complexity, maintenance required, but strong community support
* imported area
  => high complexity, maintenance, AND no one to help/motivate you

Some of the challenges of dealing with existing data are similar, no
matter whether they were created by mappers or a bot.
The combination of existing data with the lack of a healthy local
community is mostly unique to imports.

Tobias Knerr