On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 10:26 AM, Dave F. <dave...@madasafish.com> wrote:

> From what I understand, it appears that OSM is cutting ties with many of
> these due to the wording of the new license/CT.

That's totally wrong. We're seeing greater commercial support than
ever before, and we're seeing (for example) the French government
adopt the OBbL.

I've been around the FLOSS community a long time (since 1997) and I've
seen lots of these forks.

Forks are almost always bad. There are a few times when a fork is
necessary (such as the OpenSolaris fork into Illumos and the
OpenOffice fork to LibreOffice) but in anything but extraordinary
circumstances, all a fork does it hurt the community by splitting the
efforts up.

I don't think all the forkers are inherently evil, but I do think that
these efforts to compete with OSM will just result in overall worse
data for OSM and for any potential other project out there, and that's
really a shame.

- Serge