Hi,

On 10/20/10 09:52, Sam Vekemans wrote:
I'm wondering if it is in the works to have a JOSM plugin where it can
automatically convert shp files (ie. run shp-to-osm.jar in the
background),

No, that would only encourage people to do even more mindless imports than we have already. There's not a day gone past without somebody, somewhere, importing data without talking to anyone first - overwriting existing data, creating duplicate nodes, ignoring license questions, not thinking about updates, and whatnot.

Imports are a complex topic and they require a lot of thought and discussion. Making imports easier will enable everyone to go through the steps technically without necessarily having the proper understanding of OSM that is required.

Any editor offering a simple "shp import" functionality would soon be regarded as "the software that causes more harm than good". Calls for banning that editor would ensue.

Bye
Frederik