On 10/20/2010 10:16 AM, Gregory Arenius wrote:
There isn't a day gone past where the vast gaps in the OSM dataset, the missing address nodes, missing turn restrictions, missing building outlines, missing subdivisions, missing everything and whatnot don't hugely degrade the usefulness of the project. How is the set of problems you mentioned any worse than the missing data, much of which we could get through imports?

Gregory,

I use OSM data mainly to get maps for my Garmin device. Lately I was in an area where someone imported a set of data on top of existing data w/o taking the time to remove duplicates. Although the imported data was of better quality than the existing one, this import of better quality data worsened the overall quality in that area. Having two overlapping and unconnected set of roads just drove the GPS crazy: road calculation failed most of the time and when it succeeded it would take long detours.

Bottom line is imports can be useful BUT they have to be done correctly.

  Thanks,

N.