Perhaps recognise that OSM is changing and developing in ways it's creators
never intended?

I'm currently looking at a project that uses data that is not cc-by-ca by
any means however it can be imported into an OSM file format and use the OSM
tool set to basically create a stand alone DVD that is a searchable map
visible on a lap top.  It isn't OSM but does use the tool set.

Applications such as routers need the roads, footpaths etc. joined together,
this a different standard of quality than was expected in the beginning.  I
think we need to concede that parts of the world with lower population
densities need different approaches than just a cyclist making multiple GPS
passes and noting the street names down can provide.

Cheerio John