On 05/11/2010 16:54, Serge Wroclawski wrote:
On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 12:33 PM, Apollinaris Schoell<ascho...@gmail.com>  wrote:

I consider it improving osm by a human mapper according the spirit of the
project instead a container full of imports with not much value. If a human
surveys on ground or based on personal knowledge and image tracing it has 100
times more value than any imported data

We're not talking about human surveyed data- that is already addressed
by tiger_reviewed- we're talking about disassociating the original
feature from an import from its current incarnation. This doesn't
improve anything, it just makes it harder to associate the data from
the source.

Also, in the case of image tracing, one is recommended to mention a
source= tag. Not everyone does that all the time (I don't do it often,
when I should), but the idea there is the same- to illustrate the data
lineage.

Probably more useful (especially for imports) to tag the source on the changesets, instead of the objects. As the source is specific to those changes/import, and not the objects themselves, which may later be edited using data from a variety of other sources.
The changeset tags can be retrieved from the history if necessary.