We (EntropyFree) made a tentative start towards this a year or two ago at
OpenHistoricalMap.org - but although the resources needed for it didn't come
through, there was an incredible amount of interest in it. Essentially it
was planned to be a customised SM server instance with some backend
additions to accommodate changes of objects over time.

Another issue that was brought up was rendering of the maps - how do we
render historical data? By year range? By decade? How about if you wanted to
make a Georgian Map?  Do you use contemporary data where old data doesn't
exist? Maybe rendering to static tiles is the wrong approach?

Laurence gave the example of Crystal Palace, which moved position. But what
about a) buildings which do not change geometry, but change attributes,
name, use or ownership several times (Offices -> bank -> wine bar ->
nighclub) and b) Buildings which change shape over time, whilst retaining
the same attributes (Church -> church with tower -> church with spire).

On 9 November 2010 11:03, Frederik Ramm <frede...@remote.org> wrote:

> No, it would be perfectly ok for someone to create a "history OSM" server
> that others interested in the same could then use, maybe even as a testbed
> while developing new tools that can actually handle such data.

+1