On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 10:31 AM, Blake Crosby <m...@blakecrosby.com> wrote:

> On 17/12/2010 9:42 AM, Peter Körner wrote:

Blake,

Thank you for responding here on the mailing list and explaining things.

> The community has to decide it the changes should be reverted. How many
>> nodes did you import?
>>

> There were 23,013 nodes:
>
> Of those:
>
> 3,680 were Heliports/Helipads
> 19,333 were Aerodromes
>
> The general consensus with other users who have e-mailed me directly/on
> this list is that I should revert the changes for which a node appears
> INSIDE an area defined as as helipad/aerodrome.

That seems reasonable, except for the fact that we have concerns with the
licensing of the data.  We care a lot about the lineage of the data. The
about page of ourairports.com lists ways they sourced the data, including
using Google Maps and Wikipedia (which takes data from Google Maps).

Take a look at the FAQ which explains some about this:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/FAQ

I very much wish the data was usable here but sadly I don't think it is
because of the copyright concerns.

Cheers,
Katie