On 28. 01. 11 21:25, Andrew Guertin wrote:
First, some background. The University keeps quite a bit of very
detailed geospatial and other data about the campus, as you might
expect. However, this data is spread around various departments,
databases and non-database files, and formats. By far the largest
problem for the web team working on our new map is collecting this data
and getting access to it in such a way that we can keep it up to date.
Any technological implementation issues, in whatever framework we decide
to use, are comparatively minor.

However, assuming we have the data issues worked out, we do need an
implementation. Our most likely choice for this (mostly at my urging) is
OpenLayers with an OpenStreetMap base layer. To do this, we need to get
the data into the OpenStreetMap database.
This is a good thing to do.
However, and additionally you can also choose to set-up your very own database. And this could also be something useful for avoiding your data collection issue in the future, and a great tool for the University administration.
What are our options in the case someone adds valid data that we don't
want displayed on our base map tiles?
For example, suppose someone adds every single emergency phone
(http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:emergency%3Dphone) on campus to
OSM (there are a lot), but we'd prefer to have that data in an overlay
on our map so it can be turned on and off. Would we be forced to render
our own tiles?
Here the answer is certainly render your own tiles. Or make an overlay layer that completely cover the osm basemap within university limits.

Yves