On 11-02-01 03:31 PM, Tobias Knerr wrote:
Anthony wrote:
I'd urge everyone, especially those who have not yet decided whether
or not to agree to the Contributor Terms, to read this post by Mike
Linksvayer of Creative Commons.
You forgot the link:

  Most relevantly he asks us to:

"use CC licenses for data and databases now, participate in the 4.0
process, and upgrade when the 4.0 suite is released, or at least do
not foreclose the possibility of doing so."

Is the upgrade to 4.0 automatic, or do the data owners need to upgrade to 4.0 ?

By reading the license text, I understand that the upgrade is automatic, but
since I'm no expert, I would appreciate some confirmation.

From http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/legalcode :
ou may Distribute or Publicly Perform an Adaptation only under the terms of [...] iii) a Creative Commons jurisdiction license (either this or a later license version) that contains the same License Elements as this License

To make this clear, he does not address OSM directly, the blog post is
directed at the general public.

It is a very interesting statement, though. It is not, as you imply, a
reason for not agreeing to the Contributor Terms (these would still
allow us to go for CC 4.0 licenses), but I hope that the Foundation
keeps this development on the radar.

Tobias Knerr