Hi all,

I've been thinking about extra colours for super hires imagery and been doing a little research. See the following list of some notable places sorted by their highest Bing zoom levels.

Hamburg 20
Vienna  20
London  20
Rome    20
Paris   20
Tokyo   20
Singapore       20
Montreal        20
New York City   20
Denver  20
Los Angeles     20
Kansas City     20
Mexico City     20
Port-au-Prince  20
Munich  19
Helsinki        19
Madrid  19
Warsaw  19
Moscow  19
Istanbul        19
Delhi   19
Tunis   19
Perth   19
Sydney  19
Amsterdam       19
Netherlands rural areas 19
Stockholm       19
Bogota  19
Santiago de Chile       19
Beijing 18
Cape Town       18
Rio de Janeiro  18
Berlin  17
Dublin  17
Damascus        17
Cairo   17
Lagos   17
Germany rural areas     17
Kansas rural areas      17

It seems that all places that have hires imagery of z14 also have it up to z17 (of which z14-z16 are scaled versions, of course). So no need to introduce extra colours for anything below z18. Then the question is: How many colours make sense between z18 and z20 (the absolute maximum)?

I think one colour for each zoom level doesn't make sense, because the overall differences in image quality are too stark (compare for example NYC and Santiago de Chile at z19, respectively).

So what about:
14-17   "high resolution"
18-19   "very high resolution"
20              "ultra high resolution"
    ?

And... which colours? I would have liked a kind of red-yellow-green scale, but I'd rather keep the green now in order to avoid confusion (old green tiles vs. new green tiles and so on). So I propose a dark green for "very hires" and a blueish green for "ultra hires" -- see the screenshot.

In anticipation of your comments,

ant