On Fri, 2011-02-11 at 10:50 +0100, Maarten Deen wrote:

>  I could even make a case that they are even more interested in OSM.
>  Since Nokia wants to offer navigation and since map coverage in
>  little-travelled area's is low, it would make sense for any company
>  offering maps to use crowdsourcing as a means to increase their
>  coverage.

I guess this depends on your coverage area.  One area I travel to
off-road, has almost all dirt roads marked on my navman and nokia maps,
but only a few in OSM (that Ive added as Ive found the trails and
surveyed them).  Im sure in some areas, OSM coverage is much more
detailed than navteq, but the simple answer is that navteq/nokia/MS can
simply licence map data from whatever governments or businesses that are
willing to licence it for a price.  Keeping OSM around simply gives them
another source to derive data from for the dataset they use/distribute.

Then again, vague comments like 'dont count your chickens before theyre
hatched' from (who I see as) a main liason between MS and OSM to this
news, are sadly starting to show why companies like MS continue to see
OSM as a disorganised unmatured project, and we citizens are the
mushrooms.