On 21/02/2011 18:03, Peter Budny wrote:
Okay, even if we accept that -- and many OSM mappers do not,
They've clearly not heard the posh woman inside my satnav then - she has no problems pronouncing "name" and "ref" information on roads (she can't pronounce "Huthwaite", but that's another problem).

The UK road numbering rules are different from the US in that one road can be part of more than one route (in the UK if routes A1234 and A2345 joined for a bit and then separated the joint bit would be labelled A1234 or A2345, but not both) so I guess that that's why you're keen to create lots of route relations. The problem is, changes like these are not actually getting unmapped stuff mapped or capturing extra detail.

You haven't addressed the original problem, which is that there is a lot
of editing to be done, some of which is tedious and easily performed by
computers.

Actually, I'm really not convinced that there's a lot of EDITING to be done. In some cases there is a bit of tidying (such as "someone drew some roads that didn't quite join, whereas in the real world they do") but in most cases it's ADDING that's needed. There might be a lot of editing needs doing where crap has been imported, but that's a different issue.

What there are are lots of blank spaces on the map. For example, I spent Sunday afternoon here:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=52.7692&lon=-0.6682&zoom=13&layers=M

A couple of bits could count as "editing" but most of it was adding new stuff that (a) hadn't been added to OSM before and (b) isn't actually freely accessible anywhere else (or isn't recorded anywhere at all), and that you can only find out by Actually Going There. Unfortunately there's no Big Goverment Dataset that says that there's a stile here, or that Path X is blocked by a barbed wire fence, or that you have to climb over a wall to get to Y.

As "http://weait.com/content/how-well-can-you-map"; says: "A mapper on every block. That's what we want. Tell your friends. "

Cheers,
Andy