Peter Budny wrote:

> I really don't mind whether it's route relations or ref tags.  The
> problem is that NEITHER is finished.  To get to my house, I have to get
> on State Route 1966, then 1267.  Neither of these are marked as such on
> the map, and I'm certainly not going to do it by hand when I could write
> a tool that will fix those AND all the rest of the U.S. at the same
> time.

The big problem with your proposal to auto-generate relations from the TIGER
tags is that, while TIGER in many/most areas is pretty good for alignment
and street names, it's pretty horrible for routings of numbered routes in
built-up areas and with being up-to-date on route changes. I suggest going
county-by-county through the official listings at
http://transportation.ky.gov/planning/reports/SPRS_listings/SPRS_listings.asp
and marking ref tags on each by hand (rather simple after downloading a xapi
query into JOSM), with FIXME tags where the routing is unclear. Then you can
auto-generate relations from the ref tags. (Just remember that some routes,
I think those numbered 6000+, are not signed.)