I prefer this idea:

mapnik etc could render only objects with version 2 or higher. Not only does that block out imports, but now we're at the point of completing various areas, it will make people go back and check them.

<matt amos>But they will just go and make tiny changes to increment the version without checking</matt amos>

yea yeah....