From: john whelan [mailto:jwhelan0...@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, February 28, 2011 3:58 PM
To: John-Michael Wiley
Cc: talk@openstreetmap.org
Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Addresses

Tricky because of the accuracy.

My money would be to add a two fields and put the lat and long coordinates in
there.  I'd also use a database rather than Excel such as SQL server there are
better validation tools available.

Then you really need manual verification you have the correct location.  I've
dropped some items in by address in Ottawa, you can get close but you need to
verify because a shopping Mall may have a single street address so many stores
have the same address.

If I think in terms of a database for people that feeds multiple needs eg HR,
phone etc.  You sort of need a key such that you can key a building then link
it to other information such as name, opening hours, phone number etc.

Since you have a Microsoft email address think in terms of OSM is an XML file
and then think Biztalk.  You may want to email me a little off line on this
since this is more electronic map than OSM normally likes to think of itself.

Cheerio John
On 28 February 2011 18:11, John-Michael Wiley