On 01/03/2011 00:31, John-Michael Wiley wrote:

Unfortunately the data is coming to me from a tool I do not control. I simply will be importing the data and allowing someone to associate the data provided with areas and nodes on the map. Most of the data will be for the US, but there is no guarantee that the addresses are correctly formatted which is why I am worried about doing something simple like assuming the house number is always first and is even always present.

Seems to me like the best thing to do would be to skip the street address fields and simply use the ones which have a 1-1 mapping (city, country, state/province, postal code, phone). Leave the address for someone else.

It might be better to load the information in a custom tag (addr:line1 perhaps?) so that the information is there for other mappers to reformat into addr:housenumber and addr:street at a later date.

--
Steve