Hello,

thanks Frederik for your answer.

It's exactly as you assumed in your last E-Mail:

The reason for storing all the routes of many different people in a DB
is to share them again with others in a community. So all users may share
routes as well as their actual position with others they want to share
their routes and positions with in realtime.

I think the interesting point is, that such a route or position is some kind
of personal information and it should be up to the user who to share this
information with.

You wrote: "You might have to make it available" without regard to the
privacy issue.

I thank you all a lot for some more ideas to clearify that.

Kind regards,

Markus

I'm not sure; my guess is that as long as you don't publicly use the
database you can keep it under lock and key, but if you should start
providing services to the public based on your database (e.g. "find
routes that other people have traveled!") then you might have to make it
available.

The picture might become clearer if you can tell us why you are storing
the user's routes in a database.

Hi,

mg040 wrote:
Is the database containing all user's personal routes to be put under
CC-BY?
CC-BY-SA, if anything.

The routes are clearly derived works from OSM data (because they will
incorporate topology and even OSM geometry). However, if you just
display the route to this one user, then the single route is CC-BY-SA,
and the only person who has received the route is that one user - the
user may now use the route under CC-BY-SA as they please, but that does
not mean that you have to show this route (or your whole database) to
other people as well.

How will change of licence will affect this scenario?
I'm not sure; my guess is that as long as you don't publicly use the
database you can keep it under lock and key, but if you should start
providing services to the public based on your database (e.g. "find
routes that other people have traveled!") then you might have to make it
available.

The picture might become clearer if you can tell us why you are storing
the user's routes in a database.

Bye
Frederik