John Smith wrote:
On 16 April 2011 17:37, Elizabeth Dodd<ed...@billiau.net>  wrote:
OpenOffice.org has had a major fork just recently. The LibreOffice fork
has chosen different licensing arrangements, including the contributors
retaining their own copyright.
http://www.libreoffice.org/get-involved/developers/
and interestingly this assessment of how LibreOffice is going
http://webmink.com/2011/02/11/is-libreoffice-open-by-rule/
We can also note how the new fork is handling their compound
licensing issue.

What's more interesting is Oracle's move to wash their hands of direct
control over OpenOffice...

http://go.theregister.com/feed/www.theregister.co.uk/2011/04/15/oracle_letting_openoffice_go/

Probably pertinent how current this move is ...
I think that the fact that the main development team simply moved over to LibreOffice was something Oracle had not anticipated, but is exactly what open source is about?

Unlike OO, OSM has a number of 'competitors' providing the same data, so a split is less likely to happen, but I do wonder if it isn't about time to readdress the area of merging data from different sources? Rather than throwing everything in the one pot and mangling it, creating a more open data interface so that third parties can supply feeds in much the same way as we use a range of background tiles at the moment. I am thinking directly here about paralleling the current OS data with OSM data.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL