Am 17.04.2011 06:04, schrieb Russ Nelson:
> Tobias Knerr writes:
>  > Personally, I don't want to sue anyone.
>
> Then you should put the public domain notice into your Wiki page, so
> that everyone knows that you won't sue them under any circumstances.
> I'm not asking you to do anything that I haven't already done.

You are right, and I've done that roughly 2.5 years ago.

> Then let's add a permission to the CC-By-SA which says "We won't sue if
> you only attribute the project."

> Then let's add permissions to the CC-By-SA which say "We won't sue if
> you combine this work with other licenses. Here are the
> characteristics of those license which we deem acceptable."

> Then let's add permissions to the CC-By-SA which say "I also grant the
> OSMF permission to grant further permissions."

This doesn't work if our data contains contributions from people or
organizations who are using plain CC BY-SA. Luckily, there is a legal
mechanism that makes all that possible: Contributor Terms.

> None of these are arguments for the CT+ODbL. They are arguments for
> granting extra permissions to current licensees.
>
> The REAL purpose of
> the CT+ODbL is to be a bigger stick with which we can beat up OSM
> users.

The CT are what makes it possible for OSMF to grant all these additional
permissions you mentioned.

The ODbL license then actually grants these permissions to our users.

So I think that the desirability of these permissions is actually a very
good argument for introducing the CT, and for using the additional
rights granted to OSMF in order to publish the data under ODbL terms.

They are not arguments for no longer making the data available under the
terms of CC BY-SA in addition to ODbL, but they weren't meant to be.

Tobias Knerr