Do you know about the new jXAPI servers being run by both OSMF and
Mapquest open? I haven't used them recently so I'm not sure if they
are always overloaded as well or not.

I have my own instance of this java based XAPI[1] service running on
my server at home. For only serving up New Zealand I think any old
server should do. I actually have the whole planet in my database. It
takes just over 500 GB and can serve up queries on reasonably large
areas within a couple of minutes. The biggest bottleneck is disk I/O.
I'm running on a 3x1TB RAID5 array on a pretty old AMD dual core with
3 GB of memory.

There are basic instructions for getting set up on github. I also
wrote a rather long blog post about it:
http://ksmapper.blogspot.com/2011/04/parse-planet-into-pgsnapshot-database.html

I think the problem is keeping it up to date. There are issues with
applying the minutely/hourly diffs to a bounding box. It might not be
as much of a problem for an island though. I guess you could always
wipe the database and reload the NZ extract on a regular basis.

[1] https://github.com/iandees/xapi-servlet/

Toby