Richard Weait wrote:
> Any thoughts or widely accepted customs regarding this?

I'd use a length of either railway=disused or railway=abandoned.

IMX it only takes a year or so for a disused railway, often called OOU in
the UK ("out of use"), to become unsuitable for trains to "turn up and go".
On occasion the problem is just a bit of overgrowth, but more frequently,
there'll be something serious that needs addressing before trains can pass
again: signalling, skewed or stolen rails, washed-out trackbed. A bit of
tarmac across the rails is probably the least of these problems.

So, given that "disused" means "permanent way still largely in place but
some work required to get it back in place", I'd be tempted to stick with
railway=disused even despite the odd bit of tarmac. (The example that
springs to mind most readily in the UK is the Amlwch branch, for those who
know it.)

cheers
Richard